Easing Dental Anxiety: Coping Methods that Can Help
Posted by Smile Design Implant Centers Feb 24, 2023
It is normal to feel anxious about a dental visit. If you suffer from dental anxiety, you might feel an overwhelming sense of fear when you think about going to the dentist. This fear can make it difficult for you to go to the dentist, even if you have a dental problem that needs attention. If you suffer from dental anxiety, it is never too late to get help. Once you overcome your dental anxiety, you will be able to go to the dentist regularly and receive the care you need.
Dispel Dental Fear
Don’t let your fear of the dentist keep you from getting the dental care you need. In fact, your dentist wants to help you feel comfortable and at ease during your visits. Talk with him or her about your anxiety and ask what can be done to ease your fears so that you are comfortable during your appointments. Here are a few tips to help make your visit easier:
- Talk about your fears with your dentist. He or she will want to know what concerns you the most so that you can work together to make your visit as pleasant as possible.
- Discuss a signal to use if you need to take a break or stop a procedure due to discomfort. This can help cut down on any feelings of embarrassment or frustration. For instance, maybe you agree that you’ll raise your hand when you need a break. Or you can tap on the table to signal that you are feeling pain.
- Ask a friend or family member to come with you and hold your hand during the procedure to help calm you down if you feel anxious. If the procedure is long, ask someone to take a short break at a time that is convenient for you.
- Bring headphones to listen to your favorite music or podcast during your procedure. This can drown out the sounds of the tools being used on your teeth so that you feel more comfortable and relaxed.
- Ask about sedation dentistry. Some patients find that they are more fearful than others during their appointments. If this is your case, your dentist may recommend oral conscious sedation or IV sedation so that your dental treatment can be completed while you are comfortable and stress-free.
To learn more, visit Smile Design Implant Centers in South Reno, Nevada. We are located at 748 South Meadows Parkway #A8, Reno, NV 89521.